Date: 12/6/18 3:40 pm
Subject: Re: Selection of Locations for Hotspots
Buckhorn Reservoir is a good example of the problems being cited here.
Ebird suggests that a checklist/hotspot should have same kind of
habitat. There are three fingers/coves and miles of shoreline around
Buckhorn Reservoir and the habitat is really the same -- water with wooded
shoreline and a lot of the shoreline is looking at the same point of water
so if I am reporting a group of ducks or gulls in a particular finger of
the lake, maybe I should be using a hotspot in the water, not the access
point.

However, personally I tend to use access points around the lake to name my
locations -- I have 19 personal locations around the reservoir: Buckhorn
Reservoir -- Bailey Rd curve, Buckhorn Reservoir -- horse trail, Buckhorn
Reservoir -- Hogg Road, etc. Maybe many of these locations should be
hotspots; most are on city-owned land and I assume therefore public but not
easily accessible.

The problem comes with aggregating the data. I like having a list of
birds for the whole reservoir. I think for most discussion of birds, it is
appropriate to talk about the rarities at the whole reservoir -- not some
access point. I also like checking who has submitted the most lists or has
the most species for a hot spot, county, etc and if you use the many access
points, it doesn't give you the same results.

I would like to see hotspots have subentities that can be accessed
separately but have the ability to group the data to the larger entity. So
there should be BuckhornReservoir.BaileyRd,
BuckhornReservoir.MoccasinCreekCove, etc. Then when I look at the list of
birds for BuckhornReservoir, it should include all of the data from the
subentities. That way, I would get the high level aggregated data and
birders could come nearer to finding the the access points.

Ann Brice
Wilson, NC

--
Ann Brice

*First Wilson Properties, Real Estate Broker, GRI
www.FirstWilsonProperties.com <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.firstwilsonproperties.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=RJyBcW8tHrdWv2pDSJUhtaFGeG4Z8gpoLt3PU34p9rI&s=3HLVipaj8XwP1nHa38wy8tB2tClQ6A8pSa3OB33BcRY&e=>*
*Preservation of Wilson, Properties Committee www.PreservationofWilson.com
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.preservationofwilson.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=RJyBcW8tHrdWv2pDSJUhtaFGeG4Z8gpoLt3PU34p9rI&s=3ygJ4RA_M79_RBsLukx_jRgMATwgyk6feNV40UVNXIU&e=>*
*City of Wilson Appearance Comission, Winner 2016 Outstanding Tree
Board, Chair www.WilsonNC.org <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.wilsonnc.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=RJyBcW8tHrdWv2pDSJUhtaFGeG4Z8gpoLt3PU34p9rI&s=vH3tLhWiq5_Yvpl4bV8yuJiBoV_naTMuaD2tB-8pGBs&e=>*

<ann.brice...>
cell: 252 373-0326
office: 252 237-9900
fax: 252 243-9600