Date: 12/6/18 10:59 am
From: Charlie La Rosa <charlie.larosa...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] VARIED THRUSH 324 Morse Hill Rd. E. Dorset, Dec 6, 2018
Glad to hear this! Brought back so many memories. I grew up in Brattleboro,
on Pleasant St., and when I was perhaps in 6th grade, having studied the
little Golden Guide to Birds (which had an illustration of a varied thrush
near the beginning) from cover to cover and saved up to get my own copy of
the cloth-covered Peterson, I came home one winter day for lunch, and my
mother described a different bird she had seen that morning at our feeder,
From her description, I knew it right away to be a varied thrush, a
gorgeous bird. Well, the bird returned when I happened to be home and I
identified it positively. We called Louise Mullen who, at that time, wrote
a bird column for the Brattleboro Daily Reformer, and very soon the local
birders were slowing down or stopping in front of the house to get a look
at the thrush. The next day, when I got home for lunch, our street was
lined with cars, and I found my mother serving tea and coffee in our
kitchen to a crush of birders from near and far who had shown up to see the
bird. There was a group from Mass. Audubon in Littleton that had made the
trip. They also wanted to meet the boy who had identified the bird. Of
course, people were skeptical at first, but once an adult birder, one who
was deemed reliable enough, confirmed the ID, the gates were opened. The
bird stayed around for a number of days and was very cooperative in giving
audiences to the elite and not so elite of New England birders.

A couple of years later, a black-headed grosbeak showed up and there was no
skepticism that time around. That was 56 or 57 years ago. We had throngs of
evening grosbeaks crowding our feeder every day throughout the winter back
then. Pine grosbeaks were a common occurrence in the big spruce tree in our
neighbor's yard. Tree swallows nested in a box I made and put on the
highest branch of our apple tree that was sturdy enough to still allow me
to climb and get a look. Today, the apple is long gone, as are the cherry
and the giant elm and the sugar maple in the front yard. I didn't notice
any feeders around the last time I drove through the neighborhood. Nothing
stays the same for very long, but I still feed the birds in winter.

Charlie La Rosa
So. Washington, VT

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM Ruth Stewart <birder_rws...> wrote:

> This was an oh-so-brief look, but enough for me to recover from shock and
> take pictures. Pretty conclusive image! Not seen in next half hr since.
>

> Ruth Stewart
> E. Dorset, VT

Join us on Facebook!