Date: 12/6/18 10:24 am
From: BBenvenuti <brudinsky08...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Summer 2018 King Rail nesting confirmed
Hello All -

Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge is pleased to announce the
confirmation of successful breeding of the King Rail pair on Eldridge Marsh
(Eldridge Road, Wells, ME). As this species is considered a rarity to the
State of Maine, we (the Refuge) chose to withhold the nesting information
until after the breeding season in an effort to minimize disturbance to the
pair. Please note that this marsh is closed to the public. The following
information was collected by Rachel Carson NWR employees.

A nest with 11 eggs was found while searching the marsh for saltmarsh
sparrows on 19 June 2018. To track the success of the nest, Refuge staff
followed protocols established by the Saltmarsh Habitat and Avian Research
Program (www.tidalmarshbirds.org). The nest hatched 7 chicks on July 3-4.
The chicks were not seen after leaving the nest, but were heard with the
female on July 19th. Please find the attached summary and photographs. For
additional information, feel free to contact me at <Bri_Benvenuti...>

Cheers!