Date: 12/6/18 10:13 am
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: "Rare" Song Sparrows in Oregon - photos requested in eBird
Hi Tim

This is definitely a Song Sparrow and not a Lincoln's.   Note how there
is no buffy wash across the upper breast, and the streaking is heavy and
not fine.  Lincoln's have fine streaking.  But a field mark that all
Song's show that I learned many years ago is that heavy triangular patch
on each side of the upper breast and below the below.   This strongly
marked triangular patch is a field mark on all forms of Song Sparrows.
Check it out on any Song you see in the future.  Note how Lincoln's does
not have this patch - never is it as prominent and heavy.   Hope that helps.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 12/5/2018 7:50 PM, Timothy Steeves wrote:

> Of the photos I have seen, I am leaning toward Lincoln's sparrow
> rather than Song.  All feathers seem to be much closer to Lincoln's
> rather than Song.  Buffy breast, fine streaking on breast and back,
> small central spot and white lower breast.
> I will leave it to the experts to make the final decision on whether
> it is, in fact, a Song Sparrow.
>
> Tim Steeves
>
> On Dec 4, 2018 12:01 PM, "Russ Namitz" <namitzr...>
> <mailto:<namitzr...>> wrote:
>
> Although ID is still being researched, I validated the following
> report so that the public could view these photos.
>
> "Rare" SONG SPARROW
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50356216
> <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50356216>
>
> Earlier I talked about subspecies and subspecific groups in eBird
> while using SONG SPARROW as an example.  As a quick aside, I don't
> think it matters too much if one uses the general name like SONG
> SPARROW or the subspecies/subspecific group that is known to breed
> in a particular area (e.g. SONG SPARROW (heermanni Group) for
> Brookings, OR).  It really does't make the "data" stronger by
> stating the known breeding subspecies group.  The trouble and
> where it DOES matter is where the zone of overlap happens and
> observers start /assuming/ subspecies/subspecific group. Somewhere
> along the southcentral Oregon coast, the SONG SPARROW (rufina
> Group) and the SONG SPARROW (heermanni Group) overlap.  I suspect
> that it happens in Coos County, but it may be further north or
> possibly even south. I honestly have not researched enough and it
> is out of my area of expertise at the moment.
>
> But that brings me to the eBird link above. I think that this SONG
> SPARROW belongs to the Central/Eastern US subspecific group of
> SONG SPARROW (melodia/atlantica)....and that perhaps it is the
> first photo documented record for Oregon.  However, it was brought
> to my attention that Jim Hardman & Phil Redlinger photographed a
> very similar individual on Nov 30th while searching for the Lane
> County Harris's Sparrow (OBOL message on 11/30/2018).
>
> Anyway, kind of my whole point is that I am very guilty of just
> passing over Song Sparrows and that, from now on, I will be taking
> a closer look, especially in winter and look for the variety that
> might be out there.
>
> Cheers,
> Russ Namitz
> Coos/Curry/Grant/Harney eBird Reviewer