Date: 12/6/18 9:11 am
From: Kurt <000000926143b032-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Titmouse hoarder

I hang my hunting clothes outside during deer season and am always finding sunflower seeds tucked in pockets and folds. I was assuming it was the chickadees.  Research has shown some of our winter/resident birds grow larger brains during the winter to remember their food caches.

Kurt Engstrom
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 DAVIS, SHAWN <sad12...> wrote:
We put peanuts in shells out on our deck, and usually it's blue jays who come and make off with them.  But this time we saw a titmouse take one, fly off, and come back within thirty seconds.  It did this several times, and kept flying off to the same area of our yard.  Closer inspection revealed that it was burying them in the leaf litter.  As we watched, it stashed peanuts in several locations around our yard, in both leaf litter and crotches in bushes.  Anyone ever observe this sort of behavior from songbirds before?  I know shrikes impale insects for later, but I've never seen a songbird hoard.
Best,
Shawn

Join us on Facebook!