Date: 12/6/18 8:59 am
From: DAVIS, SHAWN <sad12...>
Subject: Titmouse hoarder
We put peanuts in shells out on our deck, and usually it's blue jays who
come and make off with them. But this time we saw a titmouse take one, fly
off, and come back within thirty seconds. It did this several times, and
kept flying off to the same area of our yard. Closer inspection revealed
that it was burying them in the leaf litter. As we watched, it stashed
peanuts in several locations around our yard, in both leaf litter and
crotches in bushes. Anyone ever observe this sort of behavior from
songbirds before? I know shrikes impale insects for later, but I've never
seen a songbird hoard.

Best,
Shawn

Join us on Facebook!