Date: 12/6/18 8:37 am
From: 'Kahl, Steve' <Steve_Kahl...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] sightings around Pokie
Had a nice day of birding in the Pocatello area yesterday. Started off in
the backyard in Chubbuck where the Harris's Sparrow made it through the
night. Appearances by a Merlin, an imm Sharp-shinned Hawk, and an immature
Northern Goshawk were cool. A nice walk at Edson Fichter Nature Area was
punctuated by a Cackling Goose in with a flock of Canada Geese. The flock
was headed north so I suspected they were headed toward Lundburg Pond where
Canadas often roost/loaf through the winter, so that's where I headed
next. I was lucky and the cackler was there and I was able to get pictures
to attach to my eBird report (https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50463239).
I'd appreciate any feedback supporting or disputing the ID. Four Wood
Ducks were also at Lundburg. At the wetlands along W. Siphon Rd I was
fortunate to be looking up as a Wilson's Snipe zoomed past. It appears the
Marsh Wrens that were there last week may have succumbed to the cold, but
there was still a Yellow-rumped Warbler. Lastly, at about 9:30pm my wife
and I were serenaded by a pair of Great Horned Owls that seemed to be right
behind my house!

Steven F. Kahl
Deputy Project Leader
Southeast Idaho National Wildlife Refuge Complex
4425 Burley Dr., Ste. A
Chubbuck, ID 83202
C (208) 252-0805
P (208) 237-6615 ext 112