Date: 12/6/18 7:44 am
From: Shelley Rutkin <shelleyr...>
Subject: RE: Selection of Locations for Hotspots
Good morning Jeffrey and All,

I am the eBird hotspot editor for NC and anyone is welcome to contact me any time with questions or problems with hotspots. I have also encountered the situation Jeffrey described and I agree that it can be frustrating. The problems stem from several issues. First is that we are trying to use a pinpoint location to identify an area that is actually a polygon. There will probably be a change in eBird allowing definition of the actual hotspot boundaries, but don't expect changes any time soon. Another problem is that eBird locations have multiple uses - researchers using them to understand habitat and where birds actually were observed and birders using them to find birds and locations. The instructions from eBird state that the pin for trails should be in the middle of the trail. That probably helps with analysis, but it's not always most helpful to birders. Considering all that, I am leaning more towards putting the pin for new hotspots at trailheads and parking areas and I am willing to change any older hotspots that are problems. For bodies of water, I am usually trying to put the pins at the actual spot birders use (usually at the shoreline).

Again, I'm always happy to hear from anyone with questions or suggestions regarding NC eBird hotspots.

Shelley Rutkin
Winston-Salem, NC