Date: 12/6/18 6:35 am
From: Andrew Baksh <birdingdude...>
Subject: Re: [BIRDWG01] Possible Little Stint
Taking a look on my phone at your checklist images, I do not see a Little Stint. Looks like a Western Sandpiper in non breeding plumage.

Cheers,

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu The Art of War

> (\__/)
> (= '.'=)
> (") _ (")

Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 6:04 AM, Will Chatfield-Taylor <wchatfieldtaylor...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>

> I'd like your opinions on this peep I saw in Jacksonville, FL yesterday
> (December 4, 2018). The most common species this time of year is Western
> Sandpiper (and it probably is one), but this bird looked distinctly
> different than others I've seen there lately. The color is much warmer,
> almost buffish brown instead of the cold grays I've been seeing for the
> last month or two. I couldn't get a sense of the toes until I checked my
> photos, but they appear unwebbed.
>
> The feather centers are dark and don't just have the dark central shafts.
> Combined with what *appears* to be a lack of webbing in the toes makes me
> wonder if this is a Little Stint. If the the toes are indeed unwebbed as
> the photos seem to show, then it ought to be a European Stint species, and
> the dark centers to the coverets should eliminate Red-necked Stint, as
> should the bill. The bill is curved a bit, but it doesn't have that thin,
> drooping tip of a Western. With the sexual dimorphism in bill lengths in
> peeps, that may not mean much though. I added a photo of a Western that we
> get in Florida for comparison. The gizz and details all seem different.
>
> One feature that doesn't seem present (though it seems pretty variable and
> I'm not exactly sure how prominent it is supposed to be), is the split
> supercillium.
>
> The photos are on the ebird checklist.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50423900
>
> Thanks as always