Date: 12/4/18 11:14 pm
From: Chris Bennett <tayben7...>
Subject: [obol] Most unexpected rarity?
Back in March of 2004 I got the pleasure of seeing the Falcated Duck at
Fern Ridge. Honorable mention Smew at The Dalles and the Hawk Owl in Bend
Chris Bennett

From: "Tom Crabtree" <tc...>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 11:11:42 -0800

While viewing the two Eastern Bluebirds on Sunday with Owen Schmidt, Jeff
Gilligan, Steven Rogers and others, we marveled at how unlikely a sighting
this was. For one thing it was two birds, not a single one that wandered
out to become the first Eastern Bluebirds ever seen on the West Coast. They
were 600 miles from the closest prior sighting in Cassia County, ID. They
were 750 miles from the closest location of multiple birds (5) in Greycliff,
MT; 900 miles from records of birds seen in December north of Edmonton,
Alberta (which must have really shocked the discoverers); and about a
thousand miles from the closest breeding population of the species in
Theodore Roosevelt National Park in western North Dakota. We can debate all
winter how they got here, but it made me think of another question: Is this
the most unusual, unexpected rarity to show up in Oregon in the last 25
years? In my mind this is on a par with the Streak-backed Oriole that
showed up at Malheur NWR Headquarters in September 1993. At the time there
had only been three sightings in the US outside of Arizona, the closest
being in Death Valley National Park in 1977, about 550 miles away.

What is your nominee for the most unexpected rarity in Oregon since then?

Tom Crabtree, Bend

Join us on Facebook!