Date: 12/4/18 10:12 pm
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Most Undercover Rarity?
After years of spending the summers in Central Oregon and the winters in
Asia, I remember seeing a basic-plumaged Spotted Sandpiper in fall and
thinking I'd found a Common Sandpiper.

I hadn't, of course, but it made me realize how similar they are, and how
easily a Common, coming down the coast in the fall, could be passed off for
a Spotted. They are abundant in Asia, and according to Sibley have bred in
Alaska.

Maybe not the MOST undercover rarity, but I wouldn't be surprised if they
have been going unreported.

Brodie
Portland

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018, 14:09 Matt Cahill <matt.c.cahill...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A potentially fun follow-up on rarities might be: thoughts on the most
> likely rarity that is already here and we all keep missing it?
>
> I had an enjoyable though frantic trip through northwest Oregon this
> weekend to take advantage of all the goodies and the good weather (and skip
> some early Bend winter slop). While watching the bluebirds I had to
> research field marks, and I've seen thousands and thousands of bluebirds!
> I'll admit I can't recall once thinking through what makes an eastern an
> eastern while in Oregon. Since females and juveniles might easily pass for
> mountains or westerns, I wonder how many eastern bluebirds have flitted
> through the state right under our collective nose.
>
> So what else is out there undercover? I did not double-check that the rock
> sandpiper I watched in Seaside wasn't a purple sandpiper. Or that house
> sparrow flocks didn't contain a Eurasian tree sparrow. What about a female
> cowbird with a dull reddish eye? A flicker just a little too gilded?
>
> I don't have a good enough grasp on what has been seen in Oregon over the
> years, or what the likely next finds are. But given the whole spread of
> ages and plumages to consider, I'm wondering what species isn't on the
> state list but is hopping around some park or beach right now, and maybe
> has been for years.
>

> Matt Cahill
>
> Bend

Join us on Facebook!