Date: 12/4/18 7:10 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sparrow strategem et al.
Seeing negative reports on the Harris's Sparrow, I stopped by the site this evening after work and scattered a bit of bird seed around the coordinates I posted last night. Hopefully this will concentrate the flock and give people another opportunity to relocate "the bird."

A few observations I found interesting in the course of the day:

(2) Cackling Geese flying north with (10) Canada Geese low over Sunset Blvd. @ Moraga during the morning commute. Maybe they are roosting at Lake Merced and hanging around the Polo Fields in the day.

(2) Western Bluebirds associating with Yellow-rumped Warblers were feeding on front lawns across the street from Aptos Middle School. Additionally I received off list messages about Western Bluebirds in residential areas recently in Glen Park and Cole Valley/Upper Haight. Western Bluebird just may have the charisma to replace the (apparently extirpated) California Quail as the new City Bird although it may have a tough go of it as the carpetbagger vote is heavily siding with Red-masked Parakeet.

(2) Spotted Towhees were in poison oak at the trail "x" on Mount Davidson. There seem to be more than the expected number of this species around this winter and at sites where they don't regularly occur (e.g. Elk Glen in Golden Gate Park.) A House Wren called once, one of those low detectability wintering birds that tend to get overlooked.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>