Date: 12/4/18 4:20 pm
Subject: Spotted Sandpiper HBSP SC
Yesterday, I had a Eurasian Collared-Dove at Litchfield, SC. Not really notable except that it was the first one I've seen since last winter.

Today at Huntington Beach State Park, I walked up on a Hermit Thrush near the beginning of the Kerrigan trail.

About 4:30 pm, I was scanning the bank opposite the Kerrigan trail observation deck when I spied the Spotted Sandpiper bobbing away. It was too far for good pictures but I thought I'd try anyway. That was when the very accommodating bird flew across the pond to land on a sand bar beside the observation deck! I got good pictures and good views.

The usual suspects were at HBSP as well, most in small numbers: Ruddy Duck, Kingfisher, Great Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron, Little Blue Heron, Whie Ibis, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Northern Mockingbird, Double Crested Cormorant, Pie Billed Grebe, Mourning Dove, Gadwall, Bufflehead, Redhead, Hooded Merganser, Roseate Spoonbill, Wood Stork, Ring Necked Duck, Willet, Turkey Vulture, Black Bellied Plover, Semi Palmated Plover, and Brown Pelican.

As I was leaving, 47 American White Pelicans flew over. I was in the woods and did not see or hear them. One of the campers saw me in the parking lot and relayed that information.

Mae Howell
visiting Murrells Inlet, SC
from Goldsboro, NC