Date: 12/4/18 1:07 pm
From: cdlou37 <cdlou37...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Swanton Rd this morning
Dec 4. The HARRIS'S SPARROW continues in the sparrow flock along Swanton Road. It seen near the corral area and along the road further south.
Calvin LouSF

-------- Original message --------From: Sharon Hull <plants...> Date: 11/30/18 2:21 PM (GMT-08:00) To: 'MBB' <mbbirds...> Subject: [MBBIRDS] Swanton Rd this morning
This morning, Lois Goldfrank and I drove up to explore Swanton Rd during this break in the rains.  At Last Chance Rd, we ran into Glenn Tepke who had already spotted the continuing HARRIS’S SPARROW.  It had disappeared but we re-found it among other zonos though at some distance away, in the weedy field across the street from the corrals.  We were also treated to excellent looks at the continuing FERRUGINOUS HAWK plus several other birds of prey.  At one point, two immature RED-TAILED HAWKS got into a squabble and were flailing away at each other on the ground; the Ferruginous briefly got into the fight too but it then broke up and the birds separated, seemingly none the worse for the experience.  An accipiter was on the fence – we’re still looking at photos trying to decide if it was a Sharpie or a Coop.   We eventually headed south on Swanton Rd.  Just north of #482, a PILIATED WOODPECKER landed on the trunk of a large tree on our left, and quickly vanished on the back side of the tree.  We waited, listening to him call, then when he didn’t reappear, I finally inched my truck forward but unfortunately the movement flushed him and we watched him vanish down the gully into deep woods.  One RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER (male) was in a fruit tree at a residence about 2 miles south of Last Chance Rd, and a BELTED KINGFISHER was on the power line above the road nearby, reminding us that a creek flowed off to our west.  Near the pond, a mature NORTHERN HARRIER male made close passes over us, and the BURROWING OWL came out of hiding long enough for some very bad photos.  The usual birds were on and around the pond. It was quite a good day for birds of prey – we ended up with 8 species, if we include the one Turkey Vulture we saw. Sharon HullLois Goldfrank