Date: 12/4/18 12:20 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fwd: Re: Most unexpected rarity?

> On Dec 4, 2018, at 11:46 AM, George Neavoll <gneavoll...> wrote:
>
> Let’s not forget the COMMON SCOTER at the “Four Sisters” on Siletz Bay in November 2016, and the STELLER’S EIDER at Seaside Cove in January 2018 - astounding rarities, both of which lingered for weeks.
>
> George Neavoll
> S./W. Portland

They are outstanding rarities, particularly the scoter, but the species had been found in California only the year before. The eider was a vary rare find, but it had been in region before, as well the other two Pacific states and BC.

I will throw the Long-toed Stint of 1981 into the discussion. It was the first record for the mainland of North America. There has been one photo since from California, which I would like to lookout again more closely There was another, probably the same bird as the first Oregon one two years later at exactly the same puddle, but that wasn’t photographed.)

No other records, despite much better identification materials regarding the species, and vastly more capable birders looking, and now capable birders living on the entire length our coast. (Happy to have it on my list…🙂: Owen Schmidt, Dave Irons…bet you are too.)

Jeff

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!