Date: 12/4/18 11:40 am
From: John Shewey <shewey...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Most unexpected rarity?
The ruby-throated hummingbird that Tim Blount and I found on Hart Mountain in 2012 does not quite meet the criteria on its own, but the fact that it was feeding in the same shrub with three broad-tailed hummingbirds probably makes for a unique sighting in the far west.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 4, 2018, at 11:11 AM, Tom Crabtree <tc...><mailto:<tc...>> wrote:

While viewing the two Eastern Bluebirds on Sunday with Owen Schmidt, Jeff Gilligan, Steven Rogers and others, we marveled at how unlikely a sighting this was. For one thing it was two birds, not a single one that wandered out to become the first Eastern Bluebirds ever seen on the West Coast. They were 600 miles from the closest prior sighting in Cassia County, ID. They were 750 miles from the closest location of multiple birds (5) in Greycliff, MT; 900 miles from records of birds seen in December north of Edmonton, Alberta (which must have really shocked the discoverers); and about a thousand miles from the closest breeding population of the species in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in western North Dakota. We can debate all winter how they got here, but it made me think of another question: Is this the most unusual, unexpected rarity to show up in Oregon in the last 25 years? In my mind this is on a par with the Streak-backed Oriole that showed up at Malheur NWR Headquarters in September 1993. At the time there had only been three sightings in the US outside of Arizona, the closest being in Death Valley National Park in 1977, about 550 miles away.

What is your nominee for the most unexpected rarity in Oregon since then?

Tom Crabtree, Bend

Join us on Facebook!