Date: 12/4/18 10:41 am
From: Michael Pearce <md_pearce...>
Subject: Trade cool trip for birding expertise
HI,

I'm still looking for volunteers to please help me map out possible birding hotspots on the 96-mile Flint Hills Trail State Park.

Basically I'm wanting to create a map that identifies particularly good habitats along the trail that stretches from Osawatomie to Council Grove. That should include mature hardwood forests, wetlands, brushy pastures, riparian areas, a major reservoir and a pretty wide section through the middle of the Flint Hills.

I'm needing the help of some experienced birders who can look at an area and say, "Wow, that'd be a great place for warblers in the spring," or "a pasture this healthy enough should have plenty of dickcissels, kingbirds and a half-dozen kinds of cool sparrows."

The project would probably take several days to cover the trail. Nobody has to be along for every day. We'd have permission to travel the trail by warm, state vehicle instead of hiking or cycling. Yes, we could stop as often as you'd like to check out birds. That would be a major part of the project.

I'm already running a month behind on the project so I'd like to get going.

Ideally I'd like to have an interpretive map that trail visitors could access online. Eventually we'd like for it to be so trail users can note what they've seen. A lot of people using the trail are young, so this could be a great way to help get younger generations into birding.

If you're interested, or have questions, please contact me via my work e-mail -- <michael.pearce...><mailto:<michael.pearce...>.

Surely someone is interested in getting an easy look at such a long stretch of wild Kansas?

Bests,

Michael Pearce,

Kansas Div. of Tourism

Lawrence, KS