Date: 12/2/18 8:24 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: White-winged and Surf Scoters - Columbia County
I agree Jeff, the Columbia River certainly offers up an infinitely better mid-winter birding experience than it did back in the 1970s (and earlier in your case). I was under the impression that quagga mussels had gotten into the lower Columbia, but according to the article linked below invasive quagga and zebra mussels have yet to reach the Columbia Basin, the only major river system in the U.S. that is free of them.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2018/02/post_264.html

I don't know anything about the asian clams that Wayne mentions. They may be every bit as problematic ultimately, but they don't seem to the poster children for "bad bivalves" like the two aforementioned species, which are a real nightmare elsewhere. I will have to read up about asian clams. Scoters, scaup and goldeneyes are all doing well in the Columbia River these days. Whatever they are eating, it seems to be plentiful.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR