Date: 12/2/18 7:58 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: White-winged and Surf Scoters - Columbia County
Dave and all

Its been speculated before, but the Columbia River seems be much much better for diving ducks that eat mollusks than in the old days. I recall when it was difficult to see any on the main river on the Portland and Sauvie’s Island CBCs. Either the native mullosks have increased, or there is a non-native species that has become established.

Jeff Gilligan

> On Dec 2, 2018, at 7:53 PM, David Irons <llsdirons...> wrote:
>
> Jeff et al.,
>
> There are crazy numbers of Common Goldeneyes along that section of the Columbia right now. Last weekend (Friday after Thanksgiving) Shawneen and I saw a group of about 30 on the Oregon side by the entrance to the little lagoon just before you get to Rentenaar Rd. Then on that Sunday we birded the Washington side up around Woodland Bottoms and counted nearly 90 near Deer Island. We only scrounged up one female Surf Scoter and could not tease a Tufted Duck out of several hundred scaup (mostly Lessers). We continued north through Kalama and Longview and back over to the Oregon. At Prescott County Park we had another 20 or so goldeneyes. I love birding along the Columbia River this time of year (both up and downstream from Portland).
>
> Dave Irons
> Beaverton, OR

Join us on Facebook!