Date: 12/2/18 4:05 pm
From: Steven Tucker via Groups.Io <talkingtrees80=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Los Gatos Creek County Park, Coyote Valley, Blackburnian Warbler
This morning I started out at Los Gatos Creek County Park. Very pleasant and fairly birdy, though nothing really unusual. Of note were 14+ Hooded Mergansers, 5 Redheads, 1 Wilson's Snipe, and 1 Greater Scaup, the first I've seen there. It looks like they have just begun filling some ponds that were dry on my last visit in November.
I lingered for a while at the end of Palm Avenue in Coyote Valley. Highlights were 290+ White-throated Swifts, 4 Golden Eagles, 2 Prairie Falcons, and a Rock Wren that hopped past me 3 feet away. Gotta love those confiding Rock Wrens.
Nothing unusual on Laguna Ave - no sign of the Mountain Bluebirds.
After Laguna I made the short detour on the way home to see Janna's Blackburnian Warbler (great find!). I saw it next to the bridge as described, and slightly southeast, next to the lone pomegranate tree. It stayed in oak trees the entire time I watched it. Thanks to the birders (presumably Eric and Riley) who alerted me to the right place to look for it. Michael Park just texted me and says the bird is in the same area as of 15 minutes ago (3:45 PM).
Good birding,
Steve TuckerSan Jose