Date: 12/2/18 3:11 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Portland Gnatcatcher Subspecies
Philip,

I think you caught the sprint of the gnatcatcher very well !

Larry

On Dec 1, 2018, at 9:20 PM, Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...><mailto:<pgeorgekline...>> wrote:

I managed some crappy flight shots of the Portland Gnatcatcher today. See checklist below. Wondering if they show enough to determine that this is in fact an eastern bird of the caerula subspecies. The two outer rectrices appear white down to the base to my eyes. Light and views were too poor to get a gauge on the color and shade of the upperparts. It also called once quite clearly while I was there. It sounded higher and thinner than typical western birds, but that's possibly wishful thinking. Maybe others obtained better photos or sound recordings?

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50353248

Philip Kline

Join us on Facebook!