Date: 12/2/18 12:36 pm
From: Frank Vanslager via Groups.Io <Vanslagerf=<aol.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Some Wilson's Snipe at Alviso on 12/2/18
All:

At about 8:15, a few yards west of the Elizabeth/Gold street-sign, I did a slow, accurate, binocular count of 94 snoozing Wilson's Snipe -- plus three more when I walked to the east of the old pump house.  This is the largest accurate count that I've ever made of WISNs.

Then, north of the Marina, I was glad that it was not a CBC day for me.  Far out on A12 there was almost a complete carpet of small shorebirds!  They were mostly Leasts, Westerns, and Dunlin, as far as I could tell.  I don't think that counting by hundreds would have been near big enough.

Along Disk Drive I saw one Burrowing Owl and 6 Long-billed Curlew among that plenitude of Ground Squirrels.

Later, on that scheduled Field Trip to Milpitas, I saw my first of the season Light-phase Ferruginous Hawk soaring overhead.  Others took pictures.

Frank Vanslager