Date: 12/1/18 8:49 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Comments on the bunting photos so far...
I got prolonged looks at the object bird five times on Thursday. My immediate reaction was the flight shots Nels posted are another bird as the head markings all look darker than the the bird l studied. There's always the problem with electronic images departing from what our eyes take in as well. It was a satisfying chase. Thanks for all the mutual support guys.lpn

-------- Original message --------From: Bob Archer <rabican1...> Date: 12/1/18 8:34 PM (GMT-08:00) To: OBOL <obol...> Subject: [obol] Re: Comments on the bunting photos so far...
I struck out on photos today.  I saw the flock twice, only once were they on the ground and then up in grass at longish distance. Another time they were zigging and zagging all over the beach, hard to see topsides of any of them. So I was never able to get my eyes locked on a pale one.  But it was in there, others were able to pick it up.  As to photos, as far as I know, our only hope today was that Wink had a camera.
Thanks to Judy and Tim and all the great effort today from others , we did our best.
And it seemed to me a number of the 14 Snowy Plover along River Beach I saw were banded.  I could not approach closer due to gulls in the area that would have surely flushed and I did not want to stir up a gorgeous Peregrine down the beach.

Bob ArcherPDX

Bob Archer
On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 7:47 PM Mike Patterson <celata...> wrote:
Not many of the photos have been posted yet, but I would like

to comment on those posted by Nels Nelson.  Please refer to:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50312364

I thin his photos suffer from the same issues I have had with

photographing these buggers in flight.  The lighting is very harsh

and which bleaches out the contrast in feathers.  I don't believe

a case can be made for either of the in flight birds he photographed

being the object bird, in fact, I'm pretty sure they are not.  If

you reduce the brightness in those photos to compensate for over-

exposure, stop looking like they are all that white.

As for the tail shot, unfortunately, it is of the under tail and

both McKay's and Snow look similar enough from below to make that

photo moot.

I do have some good news, however.  Have a look at the bottom-most

bird in photo ML126003891...

I brought the brightness down, enlarged and attached...

--

Mike Patterson

Astoria, OR

That question...