Date: 12/1/18 7:26 pm
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] 3rd graders and Barrow’s Goldeneye
I led members of Cricket’s 3rd grade class around Charleston Slough and Shoreline Lake with the help of Sonny Mencher and Santa Clara Valley Audubon’s wonderful docents. The kids were extremely excited despite the drizzle and cold. No matter how common some of the birds we saw were, they still squealed with joy when they found anything—including American Coots or Northern Shovelers.

We also saw Canada Goose, Gadwall, Cinnamon and Green-winged Teal, Black-crowned Night Heron, White-tailed Kite, Northern Harrier, Double-crested Cormorant, many Shorebirds of various species, Forster’s Terns and Bonaparte’s Gulls... over 35 species, I believe!

Despite all my efforts to get the a little more excited about the BARROW’S GOLDENEYE though, they were just as happy to see the Mallards a few yards away. Well, maybe there’s a lesson in there—the common birds are just as cool, especially when you’re a new birder, and even when you’re not.

Matthew Dodder