Date: 12/1/18 2:47 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Lane and Benton birding
I spent the morning poking around Finley NWR and the early afternoon along Washburn Lane west of Junction City in Lane Co with Vjera Thompson. We carefully avoided the Bean Goose though it is still around. Saw various birding friends. Vjera has posted our lists to eBird.

Highlights from Finley included 20 Snow and 2 White-fronted Geese at the western end of the goosy area on Bruce Rd. Flyovers at McFadden Crossing included a few Least Sandpiper and Dunlin. On-site at the Crossing were about 120 Tundra Swans, two imm Glaucous-winged and one adult Herring Gull. Enormous numbers of Mallards were there, as were a lot of Pintail.

Highlights elsewhere in Benton were a Rough-leg along Finley Rd. and a flock of 80+ pipits along Old River Rd.

Washburn Lane can be very good in winter and it was today, especially the wet pastures just south of Ferguson Rd. This area contained 400+ Ring-billed Gulls, at least three Mew Gulls, hundreds of Mallard and GW Teal, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, a few small flocks of Least Sandpiper and Dunlin, pipits, a huge flock of Brewer’s and Red-winged Blackbirds containing at least one cowbird, and other delights.

Vjera can add anything I have forgotten.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com