Date: 12/1/18 2:18 pm
From: sean mcallister <whiteouters...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Strange Grebe
With that much down in the plumage, I'll go with Western. The bill shape
and color both work. Bill size and overall size are also probably right for
Western of that age. If it was a Horned, at that age, we could probably
expect to see the facial stripes expected in all young Podiceps grebes.

Sean McAllister

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 12:00 PM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> Well, it's the battle of the photos.
> The photo from here:
> http://animalia-life.club/other/western-grebe-baby.html
> (23rd counting left to right top to bottom is of a subadult western grebe)
> is an about 1/2 grown Western.
>
> The attached is an overlay of Nagi's and Greg's photos, size adjusted.
> Note the difference not in length (could be accounted for by age) but in
> shape.
> Western is long, narrow and very pointed. But Horned is proportionately
> thicker and more rounded (blunt) at the end.
> The shape shown by Nagi's is consistent with Jeff's photo as well,
> although the bill is shorter due to juvenility.
>
> Bob OBrien
>

> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 10:15 AM Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
> wrote:
>
>> I know this is a photo of a Western Grebe that accentuates the bill
>> length, but I think it is a good illustration of how long and thin their
>> bills are:
>> http://www.birdspix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Western-Grebe-575-cr.jpg
>>
>> Here is a Horned Grebe with a fairly yellow bill:
>> http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x29Pef-T4FQ/SBDMpa7vuFI/AAAAAAAAELc/Gwt8kcorI0k/s400/MN07+horned+grebe+100_8675.jpg
>>
>> Jeff Gilligan

Join us on Facebook!