Date: 12/1/18 10:05 am
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Strange Grebe
Hi Nagi

Rather than re-state all for eh reasons that it is a Horned Grebe, I will link former Oregon birder Greg Gilson’s good ID piece on the subject: http://nwbackyardbirder.blogspot.com/2010/12/id-challenge-horned-and-eared-grebes-in.html <http://nwbackyardbirder.blogspot.com/2010/12/id-challenge-horned-and-eared-grebes-in.html>

Greg - The Oregon birders miss you.

Jeff Gilligan

> On Dec 1, 2018, at 8:28 AM, Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...> wrote:

> Hi All -
>
> In our recent Klamath Basin trip, we encountered a strange smallish Grebe on Tule Lake, that Taghrid and I had decided, after some struggles, to identify as a Western Grebe. A photo of it was included in the album I posted on Flickr, but I’m also including it at the bottom of this message.
>
> Since posting the album, several folks have suggested this may be a Horned Grebe, presumably based on size, and other attributes they didn’t elaborate on.
>
> Anyways, enough doubt/questions are now raised about this Grebe that we’d like to get more inputs on this ID.
>
> Here are reasons for why we went with Western Grebe (possibly what’s referred to as a “Downy” in Sibley’s?):
>
> Yellowish bill - seems to rule out Horned and Eared. I have not been able to find any Horned/Eared Grebe photos showing such a yellowish bill on those species
> Absence of the red line from eye to base of bill also seems to go against Horned/Eared
> Not enough orange to qualify for Clark’s
> Throat seems too clean/white for Red-throated
> This process of elimination left us with Western at the end of the day. Maybe a juvenile or “Downy” Western?
>
> Anyways, we would welcome any inputs or other important attributes we might have missed that should have made the ID easier and more clear-cut. Confirmation of our ID would also be welcome :-).
>
> Thanks and good birding,
>
> Nagi
> <Western Grebe - Tule Lake.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!