Date: 11/30/18 6:07 pm
From: Kent <kentjohnson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] San Benito County today
I made a run down to Panoche Valley today, stopping at Paicines Reservoir and various points along Panoche Road. At Paicines Reservoir the water was low and distant, but held a lot of waterfowl, including three TUNDRA SWANS. Two BALD EAGLES were also in the area. Along Panoche Road bird numbers seemed low overall: I only saw one each of Phainopepla and Western Bluebird and just a few small flocks of sparrows. I did manage a couple of GOLDEN EAGLES. At Panoche Valley it continued rather slow. The only raptors I saw were a single Red-tailed Hawk and a couple American Kestrels. Low numbers of sparrows and no Horned Larks, though there were fair numbers of American Pipits. A distant flock of about a dozen shorebirds silhouetted in the sun might have been Mountain Plovers, but might have been Killdeers. They were about 1.5 miles east of Douglas Ranch on the south side of Panoche Road, down toward the creek. A CASSIN'S KINGBIRD was close to the road in the same area. About a dozen MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS were at the corrals north of Shotgun Pass. I decided not to pay the $35 required to bird Mrecey Hot Springs; the guy at the desk said Long-eared, Barn and Great-horned Owls were all to be found on the property. I was treated to a