Date: 11/30/18 5:59 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Oiled male mallard in Marblehead
Thanks to Andy Sanford for the following report today.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

There has been an male mallard at Marblehead Neck that is “oiled” (or in
the words of a vet from Tufts, “covered in some kind of contaminant”).
 He was first observed on Wednesday at the MA Audubon Marblehead Neck
Wildlife Sanctuary, and he was seen there again yesterday.  Today he was
at some cracked corn duck feeders in the front yard of the private
residence at 2 Bonad road on Marblehead Neck, which is adjacent to the
sanctuary and a common place for mallards.  He can swim and fly, but now
he seems sick; when he walks he limps and stumbles about, doing a sad
sort of “funny” walk, and sometimes twitches too.  The other ducks
sometimes chase him.

 I have been in contact with Tufts, Animal Rescue League of Boston,
Marblehead and Swampscott Animal Control, and MA Audubon.  Swampscott
Animal Control came by yesterday, but the duck wasn’t around when they
visited.   I think maybe the duck could be caught at the feeders, if
someone trained would come with equipment and hang around for a few
hours in the morning (of course, they would need to get permission from
any private property owner first.)

Sad!  For more info and pictures, please see the following three ebird
checklists:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50323243

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50298816

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50274139

As an addendum, Tufts said they would definitely take the duck, if only
someone would capture it and bring it to them.

-Andy Sanford
Marblehead

Join us on Facebook!