Date: 11/30/18 4:59 pm
From: Duane Nelson <dnelson1...>
Subject: [cobirds] Tundra Swan at John Martin Reservoir (Bent County)
Birders,

Today, I found and photographed this immature Tundra Swan on the west
end of John Martin Reservoir. Immature swans can be tricky to identify.
Note the extensive amount of pink on the bill, fading to black at the
base of the bill, and eye not connecting with black on the bill. While
bill shape is more straightforward on adults, I always have a tough time
with the shape of the bills on immature swans.

A reminder for far-flung birders. The John Martin CBC will take place on
Monday, December 17th. We schedule it for weekdays to minimize hunter
interference and conflict with counts in populated areas, and as early
in the season as possible to (theoretically) avoid open water freezing
over.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, CO