Date: 11/30/18 12:03 pm
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Eastern Bluebirds-- their diet
A few of us noted on the first morning that they were busily grabbing
grubs/mealworms from underneath The Little Yellow Tree.

This reminded me of a Julie Zickefoose essay where she talked about feeding
bluebirds and making them sick (as I remembered it) so I looked it up. I
couldn't find the original essay, as it's in some book I must have given
away, but I did find this:

https://watchingbackyardbirds.com/wbbsite/articles/birdsquatch-suet-dough-nest-boxes.php

I only bring this up because a friend and I joked about feeding them, but
it doesn't seem unlikely that someone might try, which reminds me of a
wintering vivid niltava (which isn't too dissimilar from a make bluebird)
in Taiwan years ago that, when spring time came, didn't migrate back to
wherever he was from because he had apparently gotten too attached to all
the free mealworms the photographers fed him every day (or he had gotten
too fat to make the flight).

Food for thought.

Brodie
Portland

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 11:36 Jamie Simmons <sapsuckers...> wrote:

> Jim Anderson sent his question only to me, but it seems appropriate to
> reply and include OBOL.
>
> I noted and photographed the Eastern Bluebirds in a Mountain Ash tree in a
> backyard ne of the intersection of Klickitat and 84th.
> One ate at least one berry from that tree; not sure if there were many
> berries left.
>
> Jamie Simmons
> Corvallis
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 9:38 AM Jim Anderson <jimnaturalist...>
> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone seen what they're eating?
>>
>> Jim Anderson
>> Sisters
>>
>> --
>> Jim
>> Please note my new email address: <jimnaturalist...>

Join us on Facebook!