Date: 11/30/18 11:48 am
From: Chuck Otte <cotte...>
Subject: Re: Black Scoters in Russell County
It's hard to track and follow "high count" numbers because we often don't
have good estimates. Before 1956 there was a total of two records of Black
Scoter in Kansas. It's now known from 34 counties. Most Kansas sightings
are of single birds. In November of 1984 a hunter in Cowly County shot 3
Black Scoters out of a flock of 12. Without digging back through old
seasonal roundups that's the most that I'm aware of and the 23 Dave saw
this morning could well be a high count - I know I'll be putting that in
the Fall Season Birding Roundup!

Chuck

-----
Chuck Otte <cotte...>
County Extension Agent, Ag & Natural Resources
Geary County Extension Office, PO BOX 28 785-238-4161
Junction City, Kansas 66441-0028 FAX 785-238-7166
http://www.geary.ksu.edu/

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>