Date: 11/30/18 9:28 am
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: bb incident and what I learned
Jim,

Like you, I grew up in a birding family and similarly started looking at birds around 5-6 years of age. Like you, I have also lead many field trips with groups ranging from five to nearly 50 participants. It is cat-herding in the best of cases and clearly we become the "bad cop" in the worst of cases. Like you, I have also participated in birding behaviors that "pushed" birds around unnecessarily. In the case of the Eastern Bluebirds, I purposefully did not take my camera with me because I know if I have it with me I will be inclined to want to get closer than needed to get photos. Once I saw the situation I was glad that I had left my camera home and was able to just view the birds from a comfortable distance (for them).

Most birders–even the new ones–tend to look for and respond to social clues when establishing the ground rules for their behavior in the field. In other words, if they are unsure about what is, or is not appropriate behavior they look around and see what others are doing and join the group. That said, there are invariably birders for whom this is not a natural instinct. Some of us just aren't very social to start with, so our natural tendency is to wander away from the group (I can be one of these). This is not an indictment of those types, it is just the reality. In situations where a bunch of independent birders are showing up to chase and photograph a rare bird there are typically no established ground rules with regards to giving the bird(s) enough space to settle in and get comfortable. Sometimes it takes a few days to fully understand the bird's routine and set up viewing protocols.

One thing that I've done in the past (probably to the annoyance of others) is to take the lead in assessing the situation and trying to come up with a strategy that allows everyone to get good looks at a bird without putting too much stress on it. There was Summer Tanager that showed up at a feeder in the front yard of a house in Alvadore (near Eugene) years ago. When we first looked for it we we were all standing in plain view in the middle of the yard maybe 40-50 feet from the feeder. The bird was really skittish and if it came in at all it would only remain for a second or two and be gone. I eventually suggested that we create a viewing area across the street on a narrow little side road where everyone could park safely and then set up scopes aimed at the feeder. The bird then came and went from the feeder routinely and would stay for many minutes at time. Did everyone get full-frame photos in this scenario? No, but a lot more people were able to come and get great looks at the tanager.

In the past we could assume that OBOL was the primary conduit for learning about rare birds in Oregon, so it was pretty easy to get the message out to the masses once viewing protocols were established. This is no longer the case. For many, eBird is now the primary information source about rare birds. It's easy for birders to learn what is being seen and the exact location by following the pin drop. Unfortunately, the average eBird checklist doesn't include any commentary about suggested birding etiquette or best viewing practices.

There are no easy way around this conundrum, other than being willing–even if it is a bit stressful–to approach folks and coach them a little. What I find works best is this. First explain to them that "I/we have been watching this bird and it seems to really like this feeder or patch of habitat and will return to it often if we keep a safe distance away." Follow that up with "we've found that if we stand here and remain quiet and still the bird comes and goes routinely and we have been getting great looks." Most birders will readily join this party. The social experience of sharing in great looks at a rare bird with others is part of the fun of birding and it is an experience that will help newer birders come to understand the community standards that we all hope to encounter at these gatherings.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR