Date: 11/29/18 6:32 pm
From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Dharma Center Bluebirds and a request from OBOL members
Jim,

Your dismay presumes the photographer in question knew he was doing
something wrong and just didn't care.

I was setting up my camera just a few yards south of you today when the
photographer/birder now in the hot seat was coming out of the field.

He stopped by my camera on its tripod and we spoke for about 20 minutes.
He is from Massachutes and is new to birding and bird photography.

He was surprised to hear that he had done anything wrong. Especially since
the Eastern Bluebird is a ubiquitous species where he is from.

When I explained birders and photographers are ethically bound to observe
but not interact with our subjects and if our actions cause our subject to
alter its behavior then we failed.

He responded by saying "Then I failed because when I rose up one of the
birds immediately flew off..." To which I replied if that turns out to be
the worst mistake you make you will be way ahead of me.

His photographs of the birds are very good and I told him the images would
be valuable to the community. That they would be helpful in possibly
identifying the subspecies and encouraged him to report his observation to
the Oregon Bird Records Committee and to attach his best images. He said
he would do that and he would also post his experience to OBOL which we
also talked about.

This was by all measures a pleasant young man eager to learn and share his
experiences.

I look at this as a missed educational opportunity for everyone who
witnessed the inappropriate behavior and failed to speak with the person
about it right then and there.

Jim, please know that when I say that I am pointing one finger at you
I pointing three back at me at the same time.

Before this encounter, I would have never walked up to someone to tell them
what an asshole I thought they were - which is what I commend you for not
doing in this case.

Jake - if you are reading this - buck up and post your findings :-)

This is a tough group and you just paid the price of admission, don't waste
it.

Stick with it and you'll find people here are as much or more caring than
they are critical.

I have additional personal information about my first visit to this
stakeout site that I will share in another post.

Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon

Join us on Facebook!