Date: 11/29/18 3:08 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Shoreline Lake and Pond A1
Folks:

This morning, 11/29/18, I parked at the end of Terminal Boulevard and
walked over to Shoreline Lake to check out my gear for a possible wet
Palo Alto CBC.  The adult male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE was between the island
and the little cove at the southwest corner.  He then traveled to the
north side and joined a large flock of Commons eating mussels.  He
appeared to be a typical Barrow's with a steep forehead, a white
teardrop facial patch that came to a point just about at the top of the
eye and then widened.  There were 6 or 7 small white rectangles in the
black of the back and a shoulder spur.  I walked a CW route around the
lake to the southeast side and in another flock of Commons, I found the
hybrid male COMMON X BARROW'S.  He had a smaller oval facial patch than
the Barrow's and quite a mashup of white and black on his back and wing
coverts.  I returned to the car by the S.F. Bay Trail along the south
edge of Pond A1.  I did not dally as a rain squall came in.  About 200+
Canada Geese were grazing along the inner part of the trail. Towards the
west end, I found an immature SNOW GOOSE in with the Canadas.  As the
rain eased off, I checked some of the nearer ducks and counted at least
180 REDHEADS.  An adult BROWN PELICAN and two juveniles flew in south
over the lake and eventually landed in the lake.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park