Date: 11/29/18 1:22 pm
From: Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker...>
Subject: [obol] Dharma Center Bluebirds and a request from OBOL members
OBOLers,

I made the pilgrimage to see the Eastern Bluebirds this morning. After a
half hour wait, they magically appeared (~!!:30) in their usual hover
hunting behavior close to the "yellow tree" to the west of the Dharma
Center parking lot. Thanks to those who have posted directions and tips
for seeing these birds.

While I was there, several birders mentioned to me that the bluebirds had
been in the field before I arrived but were no longer there due to a
photographer who had walked out into the field with his long camo covered
lens and was sitting on the ground next to the "pond" waiting for the birds
to return. If he was trying to stay camouflaged, it didn't work since he
wore a bright yellow jacket. I had a problem with this for several reasons:

1.) Walking out into the field where there were no trails. I thought this
was Dharma Center property.
2.) Positioning oneself right next to where the bluebirds were known to
favor.

I took a recognizable photo of the photographer. When the bluebirds did
return, the photographer increased his height so he could get more
photographs. This reduced the amount of time that the bluebirds stayed at
the location. Within about 5 minutes, the bluebirds left again.

Question for the OBOL community:

1.) Should I publicly shame this photographer for his behavior (encroaching
on the bluebirds and walking out in the field) and post a photo of him to
OBOL.*
2.) Should I forget it and move on.

* given that OBOL or OBA has a regular photo contest, I don't want this
photographer to get credit for a great photo given what he did to get it.

Please e-mail me privately with your feedback.

I know that the bluebirds have been returning to this location and may have
been here for two months and may well stay here for the entire winter. I
don't think this means that its ok for people to walk out into the field to
get a photograph which may adversely affect the movements and feeding
habits of these birds.

Thanks for your patience in reading this and I appreciate your feedback.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim
--
Jim Danzenbaker