Date: 11/29/18 12:08 pm
From: Tim Janzen <tjanzen...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Snow Bunting Flock: Yes
Dear Bob,

I agree that having a nice photo of the tail that shows R3 (T3 in the book Sparrows and Buntings) would be very helpful. I think you can see R3 on Diana’s photo #9. There is some black coloration on the outer portion of that feather, but the inner portion appears to be white. In any case, I think that the pattern on the coverts and the scapulars is much more consistent with a first winter female than an first winter male. The illustration of a first winter female in the book Sparrows and Buntings is almost an exact match to the bird at Clatsop Beach except that the bird at Clatsop Beach is paler on the mantle than the bird in the illustration.

Sincerely,

Tim