Date: 11/29/18 10:40 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Snow Bunting Flock: Yes
Maybe I missed a photo, but before we call it a McKays we need to see R3, to see black pattern on tip. And need to see no black even on the tips of the outer two. My point of posting paper was to show importance of the details on scapulars as to sexing the bird first before an id can be made. I think in general it looks McKays but one good photo could dump it into hybrid or Snow. Thinking of Portland bird in 2011.

Bob Archer

> On Nov 29, 2018, at 9:48 AM, Tim Janzen <tjanzen...> wrote:
>
> Dear Bob,
> Yes, I believe that you have circled the scapulars. I am not sure that the ABA ID article helps us that much with the ID of the bird at Clatsop Beach. The bird at Clatsop Beach appears to be a first winter female. I have only found two illustrations of this age and sex so far. One is found in Sibley’s 2nd edition on p. 464 and the second is found in the book Sparrows and Buntings by Clive Byers, Jon Curson, and Urban Olsson on p. 59. Both illustrations seem to be a good fit for the bird at Clatsop Beach in my opinion. In particular note the very close similarity of the coverts as shown in Diana’s photo #14 to the coverts of a first winter female McKay’s Bunting in the book Sparrows and Buntings. For illustrations of the tail pattern for female McKay’s Buntings see the book Sparrows and Buntings, p. 223, and the book The Sparrows of the United States and Canada by James Rising, p. 292. I have thus far not been able to find a photograph of a first winter female McKay’s Bunting online. If someone knows of a photo of this age and sex, please post the URL of the photo to OBOL.
> Sincerely,
> Tim Janzen

Join us on Facebook!