Date: 11/29/18 8:05 am
Subject: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl record
Will agree with Chris that they are less shy than screech owls. I had
singles at Rockingham and Stokes county on CBC's before both giving the
tur-lee whistle call in response to played toots, saw glimpses of each
silently and eerily moving through the trees in the dark. At bodie island
for CBC we once had two saw-whets both start tooting in response to screech
owl.

But be warned on four occasions using saw-whet toot series playback I have
heard pre or at dawn wild turkeys give a similar whining whistle, but was
more distant, more of a singled noted alert, and they moved away from my
location instead of investigating closely like the saw whets did.

While you're out listen and try for Long-eareds as well!

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>

Join us on Facebook!