Date: 11/29/18 7:28 am
From: <mresch8702...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fitch's Bridge Groton - Goshawk, Pine Grosbeak, Excellent Sparrow/Finch Numbers, 11/29
Spent 2 hours early this morning in the ag fields at Fitch's Bridge in Groton.  Habitat is excellent, with large flocks of sparrows and finches in at least 3 spots.  Best bird was an immature Goshawk - undoubtedly attracted by all of this "food".  This was my first Goshawk in New England in quite a number of years.  Also had a lone flyover Pine Grosbeak calling.  Plus 1 flyover Siskin (but no Redpolls).
It was very difficult to estimate numbers of sparrows/finches in the very large flocks, but my best estimates were -
Juncos - 205  (flocks of 120, 80)Trees - 60  (flocks of 40, 20)White-throats - 30  (flocks of 20, 10)Songs - 35  (flocks of 20, 10, 5)Fox - 2L Longspur - 2House Finch - 185 (one flock of about 100 - can't remember the last time I saw a flock that large)Goldfinch - 60 (flocks of 40, 20)
And can't forget the flock of 35 Mallards and 5 Black Ducks in a small puddle in a flooded field.
A fun morning....

Mike Reschwww.statebirding.blogspot.comPepperell, MA

Join us on Facebook!