Date: 11/28/18 4:14 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [obol] Deschutes county - ECAS Wednesday Smith Rock State Park and Lower Bridge Rd, Ice rd, etc
Walked a bit on trails at Smith Rock State Park (SRSP) today with a few
small flocks of Golden-crowned Sparrows and Kinglets. We had a single
species flock of about a dozen Golden-crowned Kinglets moving about.
Otherwise, wrens were most confiding with several Rock and Canyon wrens
calling and occasionally singing as they foraged near us. The only finch
of the day was a House Finch at a feeder across the rd from the park.
The real show was along Lower Bridge Rd starting about 34th, then to Ice
toward 27th. Joel counted about 48 Red-tails in one spot where we
stood. We had 3 Rough-legs today in and near that area, one a beautiful
dark morph, hovering for us so we saw all parts of the bird. Prairie
Falcon out there was only seen by a couple of birders. Thanks to Diane
B and Evan for ebirding today.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Canada Goose
Gadwall - 3 in Crooked River at SRSP
Mallard
Barrow's Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Great Blue Heron
Bald Eagle - at the SRSP and off Lower Bridge Rd
Red-tailed Hawk
Rough-legged Hawk - 3
Golden Eagle - prob, 1 distant bird at SRSP
American Kestrel
Prairie Falcon - Only Kristen and John saw it
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Northern Flicker
Western Scrub-Jay
Black-billed Magpie
Common Raven
Mountain Chickadee
Pygmy Nuthatch
Rock Wren
Canyon Wren
Pacific Wren - along river upstream, poorly seen but several heard and
saw it
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Townsend's Solitaire
American Robin
European Starling
White-crowned Sparrow - only seen by a few
Golden-crowned Sparrow - a flock of 15, another smaller later
Dark-eyed Junco
Brewer's Blackbird
House Finch
House Sparrow
Total number of species seen: 33
Birders today: Karen Hansen, Gordon Wetzel, Don and Glenda Sutherland,
Mary Oppenheimer and Howard Horvath, John and Kristen Tackmier, Joel
Tinsley, Sherrie Pierce, Evan Thomas, Diane Burgess, Aaron Jenkins, Mark
Neudorfer, Judy Meredith.

Next week, Skyliner area, including walking up the 430 rd, (which can be
snowy and icy) and other places in the area, targeting woodpeckers,
winter type finches, crossbills etc. Perhaps walk less than 2 miles.
Good birding, Judy, <jmeredit...>
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!