Date: 11/28/18 2:14 pm
From: David Moon <dmoon...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Cape Ann 11-28-2018
Susan Yurkus and I led Wednesday Morning Birding on Cape Ann this morning, with wishes to Dave Weaver for a speedy recovery from a bad cold. It was a lovely day at the start, sunny and cool in the 30's with a light wind. By the time we were at Andrews Point, a little squall blew sleet in our faces in a fitting manner for that setting. Highlights were the Iceland Gull near Jodrey State Fish Pier and the Razorbill off Atlantic Road at the Elks club. We will be back on Plum Island next week, starting at Joppa flats Education Center at 9:30.

Our List:
Canada Goose (~120) - various.
Mute Swan (1) - Niles Pond.
American Black Duck (4) - Rockport Harbor
Mallard - common
Green-winged Teal (1) - Eastern Point.
Ring-necked Duck (1) - Niles Pond.
Greater Scaup (2) - Niles Pond.
Common Eider - common.
Harlequin Duck (~25) - Andrews Point.
Surf Scoter (~10) - Eastern Point.
White-winged Scoter - common.
Black Scoter - common.
Long-tailed Duck (1) - Andrews Point.
Bufflehead - common.
Common Merganser (2) - 1, Gloucester Harbor female: 1, Niles Pond female.
Red-breasted Merganser - common.
Common Loon (4) - various.
Red-necked Grebe (1) - Eastern Point
Double-crested Cormorant (15) - mostly Gloucester Harbor.
Great Cormorant (1) - Atlantic Road.
Cooper's Hawk (1) - Over Rt. 133 Ipswich.
Red-tailed Hawk (1) - Gloucester Crossing Shopping Center.
Herring Gull - common.
Iceland Gull (1) - Gloucester Harbor, from Jodrey State Fish Pier.
Great Black-backed Gull - common.
Razorbill (1) - Elks Club.
Rock Pigeon - common.
Mourning Dove - common.
Downy Woodpecker (1) - Niles Pond
Blue Jay (1) - Eastern Point.
American Crow (8) - various.
Hermit Thrush (1) - Eastern Point.
Northern Mockingbird (1) - Rt. 133 Ipswich.
European Starling - common.
Snow Bunting (8) - Over Rt. 133 Rowley.
Song Sparrow (1) - Niles Pond
House Sparrow - yes.

David Moon
Sanctuary Director
Joppa Flats Education Center
Mass Audubon
1 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, MA 01950
978-462-9998
www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats<http://www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats>

You can't be suspicious of a tree, or accuse a bird or a squirrel of subversion or challenge the ideology of a violet. - Hal Borland

Mass Audubon: Protecting the Nature of Massachusetts. Please consider investing in the work of Joppa Flats by becoming a member<https://secure2.convio.net/mas/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app274b?df_id=4645&4645.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=87DF451D09EB33BEFB7998B242B18605>. Thank you!

Join us on Facebook!