Date: 11/28/18 1:01 pm
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Visiting DRZC(Portland bluebirds)
People should not be shy about entering the property or neighborhood
either. Interpretive/info boards at all entrance points indicate a
cooperative relationship with Portland Parks and Recreation, and Metro(an
entity that manages green space in the Tri-county area, including Killin
Wetland). The signs specify the public is welcome on all paths and natural
areas during daylight. There are 9 parking spaces near the driveway
entrance that are clearly intended for use of the Siskiyou trailhead. They
are well removed from the DRZC buildings so inadvertent slamming of car
doors is not likely to disturb anyone's meditation. There is plenty of
curbside parking off property as well but the nine spaces seem especially
secure from smash and dash.
Weather on Tuesday PM was nice and foot traffic heavy. School
children walking home and dog walkers are crossing the entire landscape
nonstop, there were lots of folks in the garden. If it weren't for the
optics the current number of birders would totally blend in. Yes, DRZC is
private property, but so are shopping malls, and the latter get less
visitors nowadays. I was struck by the intelligence of the people
wandering about. Nobody asked if l was looking at eagles, which at one
point l actually was. There appears to be a daycare in the northern
building, which occasioned heavy traffic of Mercedes SUVs and the like at
the predictable hour.
A French family with child in tow talked with me for a long time, the
child flipping through images of Sialis sialis on Dave Irons'
website"Birdfellows". I'm sure they wouldn't identify themselves as
birders, but their knowledge and interest was substantial. We could have
talked til late at night.
The neighborhood has an ill deserved reputation. One twitcher my
age expressed a desire to leave the area well before dark. There was a time
when westside residents visited the Eastside mostly for sketchy reasons. I
was a cab driver on the night shift in 1985 and my practical experiences on
SE 82nd were, as the professor would say,"not edifying". Forget all this!
Bring your non-birding partner, children, mother-in-law. The Oregon Plaza
is home to Lanvin French bakery. I was there 15 years ago to buy my
daughter a musical jewelry box in the upstairs store . The croissants and
baguettes were not only authentic, but priced well below the yuppie dives
one associates them with. It's closed on Tuesdays, so l couldn't verify if
the owner and quality remained the same. The restaurant next door ,Pho
Oregon, was packed with pho connoisseurs. This is immediately south of the
defunct driving range. Fu Bon is a super shopping center a few miles south.
Even a non-foodie can be entertained wandering around, and the prices are
so low it's almost unreal. The non-birders can drop you off at DRZC and
make their own mini-field trip.
Mt Tabor is prominent on the southern horizon. Though this is far
from its best season for birding, it might to be fun to see spots you've
only read about before. Broughton Beach is an equal distance to the north.
Lars

Join us on Facebook!