Date: 11/28/18 9:08 am
From: James P Smith <keenbirder...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Turner's Falls - Cackling Geese
Greetings birders,

Two individual Cackling Geese have been frequenting the Turner's Falls
power canal during 26th - 28th Nov among as many as 1200 Canada Geese. The
birds appear to be fairly typical Richardson's (*B.h.hutchinsii)* though
have not been associating with each other.

A Iceland Gull (first-winter) joined the larger gulls roosting at Barton
Cove, Gill yesterday (Nov 27th) along with a continuing adult Lesser
Black-backed Gull which I first noted on Nov 21st.

A few other birds of interest included a Lapland Longspur at Caldwell Road
fields in Northfield on the 22nd, and up to 50 Snow Buntings in Northfield
Meadows where Josh Layfield photographed a fairly late Common Yellowthroat
on Nov 24th.

Quite a number of daytime sightings of Barred Owls in our area have,
unfortunately, included some road kill, especially in Montague/Sunderland.

Images of the Cackling Geese and other notable species in northern Franklin
County can be seen here;

http://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2018/11/ma-thanksgiving-buntings-longspurs-and.html

Good birding,

James