Date: 11/28/18 8:06 am
From: Tom McNamara <tmcmac67...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Relocation (off topic)
Hi Wayne,

Just wanted to say good luck and good times in your (and Carol's)
relocation to NC. A quick initial thought was selfish---rats! we don't
get to hear all of your always-informed commentary ---on all things bird
here in Oregon, our big loss. Thanks for all of that through the years.
But then I quickly thought: good for those guys!--making the most of
life, continuing the journey... and I imagined you driving through Georgia
with their favorite sons---Allman Bros. ---blasting "Ramblin Man"...at 11
on the volume dial.

And in just in the last few days it has been most gratifying to read that
your commentary continues! May that long continue (if you feel like
doing so :-) )

Again, best of times with many a good bird in NC. cheers, Tom

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 5:50 PM Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> wrote:

> I know at least a few of you are already aware of this.
>
> My partner Carol Cole and I have both retired from our careers this year,
> and are relocating to Wilmington, NC, to be closer to Carol's family. We
> have sold our house in South Beach. Carol flew out to Wilmington in mid
> October and is in the process of buying a house there. I departed Newport
> on Nov. 2 on an extended birding/photography trip to end up in Wilmington.
> The plan was to south to southern CA and then to SE Arizona, and then work
> east. Currently I am in Hammond, LA, and picking up the pace, intending to
> reach Wilmington by Nov. 25.
>
> I had intended to send periodic updates to OBOL, but have found my days
> very busy, often with 400-800photos to sort each night, and regular issues
> with eyestrain limiting my other computer time.
>
> Highlights to date have included 5 breaches by humpback whales and good
> photos of Sea Otters from a Whale-watching boat out of Monterey, and lots
> of photos of Black-vented Shearwaters and Common Dolphins from an Island
> Packers boat out of Ventura. I was birding in Thousand Oaks when the fires
> broke out so cut that off and headed east a day early, failing to find
> California Gnatcatchers. Salton Sea South produced good photos of Gambel's
> Quail, Verdins, Neotropic Cormorants, Abert's Towhees, Phainopeplas, and
> Desert Cottontails. SE Arizona produced some great birds but some
> disappointing misses - photographed 5 species of woodpeckers, 6
> hummingbirds (unusual lingerers), Harris's and Zone-tailed hawks, 3 species
> of thrashers, a lingering Olive Warbler, Cactus Wren, Cardinals and
> Pyrrhuloxias. An unafraid Coati was at Madera Canyon, and a mid-day
> Striped Skunk entertained at Portal. I finally caught up to a Roadrunner
> near Deming NM, also Lark Buntings. Kerrville TX and San Antonio areas had
> Egyptian Geese and Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, Caracaras, more neotropic
> Cormorants, Scissor-tailed Flycatchers.
>
> From here east most of he birtds will be species I can see in NC, so am
> picking up the pace - more driving, less birding. I will greatly miss
> Oregon birders and birding, and wish you all the best.
>
> Wayne Hoffman

Join us on Facebook!