Date: 11/28/18 7:26 am
Subject: Purple finch, fox sparrow: Coinjock, NC
After an absence of purple finch in 2017, we've had three show up today,
one male and two females. In the almost 30 yrs we've lived here, 2017 is
the only year they've been absent. Typically, we have 4-6 at a time during
the winter. Also today, our second fox sparrow of the season. The
red-breasted nuthatch that showed up in early Nov continues, coming to the
sunflower seeds and shelled peanuts. Also, we have a brown creeper who has
discovered the hot pepper suet cake. We've never had one come to a feeder
before. Several goldfinches are coming regularly. Wood ducks (and otters)
on our back woodland pond. A small hawk has zipped by the feeders a few
times, but always so fast we couldn't tell if it was a Cooper's or
sharp-shin.

Linda Ward
Skip Hancock
Coinjock, NC