Date: 11/28/18 6:23 am
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Klamath Basin trip report
Hi All -

Taghrid and I spent the long Thanksgiving weekend in the Klamath area. While there we did informal raptor runs in the East and West Butte Valley, as well as a formal raptor run in the Klamath Marsh NWR on our way home. As usual, the Klamath area reaffirmed itself as one of our favorite birding mega-spots that one never tires of visiting.

Raptor run results:

Butte Valley W. Butte Valley E. Township Rd Lower Klamath NWR Klamath Marsh NWR
Red-tailed Hawk 10 29 8 9 19
Ferruginous Hawk 2 22 0 1 0
Rough-legged Hawk 1 10 4 0 12
Northern Harrier 1 16 1 5 48
Golden Eagle 0 3 4 0 0
Bald Eagle 0 3 0 0 1
Merlin 0 1 0 0 1
Kestrel 2 7 1 0 1
Buteo sp. 0 0 3 0 8
Total 16 91 21 15 90

Additionally, while driving the Lower Klamath auto tour on our second day there, we counted no less than 120 Red-tailed Hawks, around half of them immature birds. On the western leg of the auto tour, in the trees stands by the road, each individual tree had 5-8 RTHAs hanging out in it, with just that quarter mile of road contributing around 70-80 RTHAs!

Other birds of note, were a flock of Horned Larks, one of which proved to be uncharacteristically camera-friendly. Also, a very handsome dark morp Rough-legged Hawk that we emailed OBOL about earlier (many thanks to everyone that responded to our request for ID help - the responses that explained the reasoning and characteristics to look for were especially helpful). We did subsequently briefly see a true Harlan’s and it indeed looked quite different from the dark morph RLHA. And lastly, a very close one-on-one encounter with a Prairie Falcon which decided to come and investigate me and my camera at the kiosk at the end of the Lower Klamath auto tour

Here’s a link to some photos from the trip: https://flic.kr/s/aHskJLTRkc

Good birding,

Nagi & Taghrid

Join us on Facebook!