Date: 11/28/18 5:40 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Bean Goose help
Hi, Paul:

Current AOU treatment:  Tundra includes serrirostris, rossicus.
                                     Taiga includes fabalis, johansenii, middendorffii

Speculative future treatment:  Bean Goose includes serrirostris, rossicus, fabalis, johansenii.
                                            "Middendorff's Bean Goose will be just middendorffii.

The speculative treatment is based on genetic analyses showing middendorffii is the most distinct.

Serrirostris and middendorffii are the east Siberian subspecies, and are the 2 known to stray to America.

Either way American strays include both species.

Hope this helps

Wayne

On 11/28/2018 6:47:33 AM, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...> wrote:
Several people with more knowledge that I have commented on the Bean Goose.  The resulting discussion has been confusing.

I understand that there are Tundra and Taiga Bean Geese.  The AOS splits them, but the Europeans do not. (I think)

There has been mention of a reference, Reeber, but no name for the book/article.
Mike Patterson posted a fairly clear discussion.

I have Madge and Brun’s 1988 book, Waterfowl, Houghton Mifflin, which predates some of the recent research.

So HELP ME SORT THIS OUT:
What are the English names to go with the following subspecies?
Which are tundra?  Which Taiga?

-  fabilis
-  johanseni
- middendorffii – largest, most eastern
- serrirostris
- rossicus – small, short bill

I grasp ideas when I’m given a table.  I don’t get it when folks ramble on in prose, skipping back and forth between English and Latin names for the same thing, as if the reader knew which ones correspond to which.

Thank you,

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!