Date: 11/27/18 5:20 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Pale Bunting on Clatsop Beach
The bird Diana photographed today (Steve Warner also saw it) was
almost certainly the same bird I photographed Sunday. It appears to
be a hatch-year (1st winter) female not too far off this example:
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/mckays-bunting

I think I want to see a spread tail shot, yet, but I'm thinking this
is certainly not a Snow Bunting and not likely to be a hybrid. And it's
the rusty brown, not the white that wears...

I saw the flock at the north end of the Camp Rilea part of the beach and
today the flock was 8 miles south of that location. This is probably
the same flock reported at Gearhart 2 week ago. That means this is an
itinerant flock that could, conceivably, be anywhere from the South
Getty to the Necanicum on any given day. We have had some serious storm
surging with the weather and the beaches are narrow even on the low
tide. If you are unaccustomed to beach driving consider parking and
walking or carpooling with someone in a SUV.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!