Date: 11/27/18 4:53 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Shorts: Fairview Wetlands Bird Walk Report
*SAS SHORTS: FAIRVIEW WETLANDS BIRD WALK SUMMARY*

*November 27, 2018*

Hello Birders:

This morning, I led our SAS Shorts bird walk to Fairview Wetlands in S.
Salem. It was a nice morning with cloudy skies and some sun breaks with
blue skies. The temperatures ranged from 56 to 58 degrees during the
walk. Although it rained most of the night, we did not get any rain until
just after we completed the walk. Eleven (11) other birders joined me
including a family with two young girl birders. It was nice seeing the
girls get very excited about some of the birds they saw during the
walk. We walked down to the west pond and then walked around the main
trail which was about a one-mile walk. We identified (saw or heard) 18
bird species.

Most notable sightings:

· We only saw one duck species *i.e.,* *Mallards* on the west pond but
there were 74 of them;

· There were a few raptor species around including a *Red-tailed Hawk*, a
pair of *American Kestrels* and an adult *Bald Eagle* that flew over us
late in the walk;

· We had good looks at a *Steller’s Jay* and three *California
Scrub-Jays. *We did hear two* Marsh Wrens *too;

· The passerine species with the most numbers were the *American Robins*
(26);

· The misses were the chickadees and woodpeckers other than the flickers.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS bird walk is in
preparation for the Salem Christmas Bird Count on December 15th. The bird
walk is on *Wednesday, December 12th* at *8:00 AM* at Minto-Brown Island
Park. Meet in parking lot #3 (the last parking lot). There is no Ankeny
NWR or SAS Shorts field trips in December, so birders can participate in
all the local CBC counts. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for November 27, 2018 8:55 AM to 10:10 AM *

*(Fairview Wetlands)*
Number of Taxa: 18

28 Cackling Goose (fly over)
74 Mallard